Join chef, cookbook author and Future Dreams ambassador Melissa Hemsley in the Dream Kitchen whipping up some healthy, wholesome and delicious batch cooking recipes. We hope you enjoy this delicious and hearty Minestrone soup. The recipe is below the video.
Minestrone is such childhood comfort for me. Here’s my recipe inspired by the OG Italian minestrone but it’s always a bit different each time, depending on what I have that needs using and it always has cheese on top. I like making it on a ‘zapped out day’ as it’s easy to get a good dose of veg in and it’s hearty and chunky and you know that tomorrow you’re going to have a really nice bowl to reheat for a laptop free lunch.
1 large onion or sometimes a leek & onion, diced
2 carrots, finely diced & chop up the green carrot tops too
3 sticks celery, finely diced + the leaves
3 tbsp butter or oil
4 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 heaped tsp dried oregano/thyme/rosemary or 2 big sprigs of fresh
3 big handfuls uncooked pasta
3 x tins mixed cooked beans
2 x 400g tins chopped or plum tomatoes
3 handfuls (or more) diced root veg
6 handfuls (or more) chopped kale, chard or cabbage or any greens
1.5 litres organic chicken broth/veg stock
Sea salt & pepper
To serve: grated cheese & olive oil
1. Fry onion in butter in a big pan for 5 mins.
2. Add carrots & celery once chopped, stirring from time to time.
3. Chop the root veg & add them as soon as they’re chopped.
4. Add herbs, garlic & a big pinch of salt & pepper & chilli flakes then let everything fry for 1 more min. Keep an eye on them so they don’t catch. Add a splash of liquid if needed.
5. Add tomatoes & broth, lid on, bring to the boil then immediately turn to a strong simmer for 10 mins until the veg is softening.
6. Add the cooked beans & uncooked pasta, stir & cook for 10 mins.
7. Add greens for a further 5 mins, stir, pop lid on to help them wilt. Serve up each bowl w herbs, oil & cheese
Sylvie and Danielle began Future Dreams with just £100 in 2008. They believed nobody should face breast cancer alone. Their legacy lives on in Future Dreams House. We couldn’t continue to fund support services for those touched by breast cancer, raise awareness of breast cancer and promote early diagnosis and advance research into secondary breast cancer without your help. Please consider partnering with us or making a donation.